Sunday, July 25, 2010

Strawberry Fields Race Report


The 2010 Strawberry Fields Triathlon Festival was last Sunday, July 18th.

I did this same event last year and this year I improved my time by over 10 minutes!

The Swim

Prior to the swim, we had to take a short walk down the beach to the starting point.  The swim took us a few hundred yards out, then we swam parallel to the shore before turning back and swimming in towards the beach.

The map below shows the course - don't mind all the squiggly lines and loops - Even though the Garmin 310xt is waterproof, it can't get a gps signal while underwater, so it's constantly finding and losing satellite signal during the swim. 

My swim time was not particularly good.  I normally expect to finish 1.5k in less than 30 minutes.  But it was a relatively rough sea, and I did beat my time from last year by about 5 minutes, so I was pretty happy with it overall.

I also used some TYR anti-fog spray to eliminate the fogging problem I had at the Breath of Life Triathlon a few weeks ago.


Swim distance: 1500 Meters
Swim Time: 35:37
(Last year swim time: 41:17)

The Bike

T1 took 2:40.  Not great, not bad.  19 seconds faster than last year.

The bike course is a little short at Strawberry Fields, so the official times always look blazing fast.  My bike split this year was 1:04:40.  It was about 1 minute slower than last year.  Not so surprising since last year was a bike focus year for me, and by July I had just finished training for a double century, so my bike fitness was probably a bit higher in 2009.

The Run




T2 was 0:44:42.  About 5 seconds faster than last year.

The 10k run was the highlight of my race.  I started out with a 7:15 mile that seemed entirely too easy. I was worried that I might be going to fast, but it felt so good that I just kept the pace - for the entire 10k!  My 10k split was 44:42.  Almost 6 minutes faster than last year.


Also, as you can see by all the data I collected on my Garmin, I actually figured out how to use multisport mode on the 310xt and captured every bit of my race.

Total time: 2:28:56
(last years time: 2:39:29)

No comments: