Friday, February 12, 2010

Tour de Palm Springs

 

The Tour de Palm Springs is tomorrow morning at 7am.  

My plan for the 102 mile ride is similar to my strategy for the Rose Bowl Half Marathon. Basically I will break the ride into thirds.  The first 34 miles will be at a relatively easy pace.  The second block of 34 will be a bit faster, and the final 34 miles will be at a more aggressive pace.

My current PR for a century ride is 6:04 from back in 2005 in Solvang.  Century rides can be a bit tricky because the streets are not closed down to vehicle traffic, and cyclists have to obey traffic lights and stop signs. So it's not exactly like running in foot-race or most triathlons where we don't have to deal with traffic laws.  But even with traffic lights and rest stops, my goal is to finish the ride tomorrow in under 6hrs for a new PR.